How Long is Vodka Good For?
If you've ever wondered how long is vodka good for, the answer may surprise you! Vodka is one of the most popular and versatile spirits on the market, and it can last a surprisingly long time if stored correctly. If you want to enjoy your favorite alcoholic beverage for as long as possible it is important that you know how long your premium vodka can last and how to best store it.
Can Vodka Go Bad?
Vodka is a hard liquor, meaning it has an exceptionally long shelf life and will not go bad if stored correctly. In fact, vodka can last almost indefinitely without losing its taste or quality. An unopened bottle of vodka can be safe to consume for years, even after its expiration date. The same can be said for most hard liquors including tequila, whiskey, and gin.
Once opened, however, their shelf life changes. Generally speaking, opened vodka that is stored properly can last for several years. With that being said, it's still important that you know how to properly store your opened bottle of vodka after each use to elongate its shelf life.
Factors That Affect Vodka’s Shelf Life
The main factor that affects how long opened vodka lasts is its alcohol content. Since vodka has such a high alcohol content, it will stay fresh for much longer. This is because bacteria and mold cannot survive in environments having over 25% alcohol.2
Another factor that affects the shelf life of vodka is air exposure. If you leave a bottle open for too long or don’t seal it tightly after use, the air will start to break down the molecules in the liquor and this can cause it to expire faster.3
How Long Does Vodka Last?
How long your vodka lasts greatly depends on whether it's opened or unopened. Unopened vodka stored in a cool dark place can last indefinitely. So how long does opened vodka last?
Once opened, vodka should be stored in the refrigerator. It will remain at its best for around 10-20 years.1 As the vodka is exposed to oxygen, it will start to degrade, losing its potency and flavor over time. After several years, it’s best to discard any opened bottle of vodka and buy a fresh bottle because you most likely have expired alcohol.
If you prefer flavored vodka, they can have added sugar and other ingredients that may shorten their shelf life once opened. If you’re not sure about how long your flavored vodka will last, check the expiration date. Usually, flavored vodkas last between six months to 2 years after opening, depending on the type and ingredients.1
Storage Tips for Vodka
Storing vodka correctly is key to making sure it lasts as long as possible. Here are some tips to help you keep your favorite alcoholic beverage fresh and flavorful for as long as possible:4
- Keep cool – Store your vodka in a dark place at a cool temperature. Keeping it between 55 and 60 degrees is usually best.
- Avoid sunlight – Keeping your liquor away from direct sunlight will help preserve its flavor and aroma.
- Keep sealed – Keeping your vodka in a sealed bottle when not in use will prevent it from evaporating.
- Stand your liquor – Hard liquor is best when it is stored standing. If you are to tilt your bottle to the side, the cork can seep into the alcohol and cause disintegration.
- Use airtight containers – If you do open a bottle of vodka, be sure to store it in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Finish quickly – To maximize freshness, only open a bottle of vodka when you’re ready to drink it and consume the whole bottle within a few days. Oxidation occurs more quickly when less liquor remains.
Signs That Vodka Has Gone Bad
If you have opened a bottle of vodka but are unsure of whether it has gone bad or not, you should pay attention to these signs:5
- Foul odor
- Bitter taste
- Amber or yellow coloring
- Cloudy consistency
- Small floating particles
If you notice any of these signs, it is safe to say that you have expired alcohol and it should be thrown away.
Discover Premium Vodka With Barbank
By understanding how long vodka lasts and how to store it properly, you can thoroughly enjoy your alcoholic drink for a longer period of time! And if you are on the hunt for the perfect hard liquor to include in your home bar, you are in luck.
At Barbank, our premium vodka offers luxury and experience, delivered straight to your home through our online liquor delivery. Whether you are looking for a rare vodka or a vodka perfect for mixed drinks, we have it all. Browse our favorite brands like Ciroc, Grey Goose, and Titos to make sure your home bar is fully stocked.
- American Vodka. Does Vodka Go Bad? https://www.americanvodka.com/vodka-faq/does-vodka-go-bad
- Street Smart Kitchen. Does Vodka Go Bad?https://www.streetsmartkitchen.com/does-vodka-go-bad/
- Switch Vodka. Can Vodka Expire?https://switch-vodka.com/can-vodka-expire/
- Liquor.com. The Proper Way to Store Your Liquor.https://www.liquor.com/articles/the-proper-way-to-store-your-liquor/
- Liquor Laboratory. How Long Does Vodka Last & Does it Go Bad?https://liquorlaboratory.com/how-long-does-vodka-last/#Signs_That_Tell_If_Vodka_Has_Gone_Bad